Keeping Our Household Budget Under $300 a Month (Part 2 of 4)

p2

Welcome back to Part 2 of How I Keep Our Household Budget Under $300 a Month…  I’m about to share my ‘biggest secret’ about saving money while shopping.  Are you ready for it?  Here it goes:

Don’t go.

Well, at least don’t go as often.  I can almost hear all of your disappointed groans.  (Oh, is that it?)  Well, it may not be everything, but it’s a huge, huge part.  If you’re like me and live within 7 minutes from the grocery store, it can be tempting to make a quick trip for a missing ingredient or sudden craving.  But seriously, when was the last time you went into a store and walked out with only that one item you went in for?  Shopping several times a week can wreak havoc on your grocery budget.  Not only is it hard to keep track of things, but it also takes a lot of time out of your day!

Personally, I’d rather eat rocks than shop when I don’t have to.  If Amazon started carrying all my usual grocery items, I’d sign up tomorrow.  I have yet to figure out how to juggle the diaper bag, shopping list, bring-your-own grocery bags, baby on one hip, quarter for the Aldi cart, and keep the toddler from running out in front of moving cars in a time effective (much less, stress-free) manner.  But luckily for me, that dislike of shopping does wonders to keep our budget in check.

Currently, I like to shop once every two weeks and have my husband make a bread-and-milk stop during the weeks in between.  Dinners with the more perishable ingredients are eaten during the first week, but most ingredients will last for two without a problem.  I cannot stress how much easier it is to keep track of your budget this way.  Sometimes I go to balance my budget and have only 6-8 receipts for the entire month!

I like to leave a $20 buffer for the in-between weeks, even though fresh bread and two gallons of milk tend to only cost us about $8.  Something unforeseeable usually pops up, and you don’t want to be stressing about not having money budgeted for more infant Tylenol when the time comes.

Here’s a copy of our 4-week month Budget Breakdown:

Week One –I aim for spending $130 or less on two weeks worth of groceries (like I mentioned in the last post, guesstimating at your grocery bill beforehand helps a lot!)

Week Two –We aim for spending under $20 for fresh groceries or last-minute needs

Week Three –Like week one, I aim for spending $130 or less on the next two weeks

Week Four –Repeat of Week Two

The five-week months I budget for two large shopping trips and three $20 weeks.

If I end up with left over grocery money that month (yes, it can happen), sometimes I’ll add it onto next month or buy my family a special treat with it (I recommend chocolate).  Right now, our left over money goes to building our cloth-diaper supply.  Until we started cloth-diapering, disposables were ‘eating’ a whopping $60 a month of our household budget.  That’s about a week’s worth of food!  And trust me, the food tastes better.

A few tips:

1) Write up a list and stick to it.  Bring a pencil with you so you can cross things off as you go along.

2) It’s easier to focus on staying in budget if you don’t have to take all the kids with you.  I realize that’s not an option for many of you, but I’m extra blessed, I suppose.  Right now, I put one of the kids down for a nap (at either my parents’ house or at home if it’s my husband’s day off) and run for it.  Often, I can get all of it done before he wakes up.

3) Try to avoid making one of your larger shopping trips at the beginning of the month.  It will be twice as crowded and take twice as long.  I prefer shopping in the morning when all the friendly retirees are out.  I much prefer their friendly chit-chat to the afternoon college students who always seem oblivious to little ones in the parking lot.

So how about you?  What’s your shopping routine like?  Any tips to share?  I’d love to hear how you Moms manage shopping trips with multiple little ones in tow!  You already have my admiration.

Don’t forget to check out part three, Saving Money at Home!

81 thoughts on “Keeping Our Household Budget Under $300 a Month (Part 2 of 4)

1. Melissa s says:

Love the blog!! I also shop every two weeks, usually with all three of my girls (4 and under). I shop at Aldi’s always have a list organized by where the items are in store, and I don’t attempt to bag anything until everyone’s strapped safely in the car with a snack in hand :). It is crazy but doable! Love the tips you are giving!

2. Rachel says:

Interesting! Our food budget is definitely more, but I do try to buy organic when I can and we eat meat every day. I also try to make a meal for a church family every week, and somehow that adds up! Whew. Good tips here. Jordan and I go shopping every Friday and it’s sort of our date time. With the kids. Well, we have fun, anyway. 🙂

3. Kalyn says:

Kelsey,
    Thanks for writing these budgeting tips! We follow a weekly budget for groceries and household items, but I really like the idea of a monthly budget with a big shop every two weeks and a small run in between. Looking forward to reading more…

4. Lauren says:

Hey there! Love your blogs! I saw that you said you wished that a grocery store would deliver, well my company has basically an online Walmart! Reply and ill give you more info!!

5. Jessica Gomez says:

Just started reading your blog… and I am so great full for the tips you are giving.. unfortunately my grocery shopping tends to be with all my three boys that I came up with a plan I always tend to have $5 for a special treat they pick it has to be one thing only and cannot be candy, or lunchables, So they tend to always pick something we all would it but make it feel Like it is a special treat for them.

6. mc says:

I shop at Aldi too & would love to know what you buy there. Would you mind sharing?

Oh, goodness. Most of what we eat comes from Aldi. All our fruits, veggies, breads, dairy, meat, and other staples. We don’t shop the convenience food section as those tend to be more expensive. Instead, I tend to buy the basic ingredients and put them together at home. Wal-Mart is where I go for whatever Aldi doesn’t carry, but usually that’s just a few odds and ends like whipping cream or feta cheese, etc. Thanks for stopping by!

7. Belina says:

It sounds like you’re a stay at home Mom, which is great, but unfortunately not all of us have that option. I would like to hear how other mom’s like me who work full time juggle menu planning and shopping.

Great hearing from you, Belina. Yes, working outside the home definitely makes things much more complicated. I’m impressed myself with those who are able to juggle it all. I am blessed to be able to work from home (selling on Amazon, teaching piano lessons, and breeding/training hypoallergenic dogs for people with allergies). I would say my ‘working’ hours are pretty similar to most full-time workers, but I DO get to stay home with my kiddos while I’m at it, so I consider myself very fortunate. 🙂 Thanks for reading!

• Alicia says:

Belina, I too work full time. I am not a mommy yet (we hope that when I am I can stay at home). However, we still have a pretty busy life as my husband is a middle school pastor of 40 kids, and we are very involved in our church. I just wanted to share something that has made menu planning and shopping a whole lot easier for me.

There’s a site out there called ZipList (www.ziplist.com). They also have an app for iphone and android. I keep my recipes on there, and with a click of the mouse you can plan the recipe to your calendar, which I then sync with my Google Calendar. Also, if you find a recipe you like online, many sites have a button that will add the recipe directly to your ZipList recipes. You can then add a recipe to your shopping list based on the ingredients listed and check things off the list on your phone as you shop.

My husband downloaded the app too so he can help with starting dinner if I’m running late getting home, if he needs to add something to our grocery list, or in the few instances he has to run to the store that week instead of me. I usually plan our recipes 2-3 weeks out and then revise as needed. We buy our meat locally and in bulk (when we run out we replenish) and then shop for a week at a time for everything else – usually on my way home from work on the Thursday before any given week.

• Nicole says:

I am a working mother and I meal plan to only go grocery shopping twice a month. There has been a lot of learning and growth to get to this point but it saves us time throughout the week as well as money on groceries. I prefer to go grocery shopping in the evening after my son is in bed as most stores here are open until 11.

That’s great! You must be a productive night person! I start winding down at 9pm, so personally couldn’t brave a night shopping trip, but I’m glad it works for you! Thanks for sharing, Nicole!

8. Cari says:

Great tips! I meal plan too, but sometimes I tweak around an ingredient. Like, if I buy bacon for one recipe, I try to find another one or two that use it (BLT’s!) which can save money too. One of my favorite money-saving recipes is a turkey breast in the crock pot. They go on sale and in our family, the first night is Thanksgiving Dinner with potatoes, and then I have two more nights of “cooked chicken” which, I swear, every recipe calls for. It’s a no-brainer.

Ooh, now I’m hungry for a BLT! I’ll have to put that on next week’s menu plan! 🙂 Thanks for commenting, Cari!

9. pam coles says:

I found a bread machine at goodwill and I make my own bread. I also have replaced a lot of standard desserts (brownies, cookies, cakes) with homemade versions. We still battle. Hostess is worshipped in this household, but they go through a box in 2 days. (I have two growing tween/teen boys and a husband that eats all things sweet…) I have found that a base of standard ingredients can go a long way…. I always buy sugar, flour, sticks of butter, eggs, cocoa when needed… a bag of chocolate chips. It’s amazing what you can produce with basic ingredients.

That’s very true! Hooray for innovation! Thanks for reading and commenting, Pam!

• This is so true. I keep basic baking supplies on hand all the time, and it’s saved us special trips to the store for lunch snacks many times. An added bonus is that I can do my baking with my kids or the hubby and it becomes quality time.

Baking bread from scratch is easy to learn (though it may take a couple of loaves to master) and would save you the space in the cabinet of the bread machine. I do all my bread with a bowl, a spoon, and my hands. It’s really satisfying. 🙂

10. I'm Kelsey! says:

Thanks for your detailed tips, Lynelle! A 25lb sack would probably be too large to store in our tiny pantry, but I’m looking forward to buying more in bulk when we get our someday-larger home! Congrats on the baby on the way and thanks for reading!

11. Anastasia says:

We are military and use the commissary–I can fill the entire cart up with organic/healh conscious foods (as well as expensive lactose free milk for the littest one) and spend less than $200 for whole cart full! (Includes wipes, toilet paper, tissues, etc…not diapers or ‘girly products’) I do this every 2 weeks, in the mornings (I usually just have our 2 year old and pregnant, but sometimes it’s means I have our 5 and 7 year old too)
    I give them each part of the list to distract them and cut down time. And military commissaries have baggers and $2-5 tip they bring them all to the car and put them in. Groceries are ready to go before everyone is even buckled in We are lucky to be military and pay such low prices. I’m always sticker shocked at regular stores and I’m always amazed how civilians do it! (Organic skinless boneless chicken for us is 99 cents a pound…why does even cheap stores charge $2+ for exact same lb?!) And regular stores should have people bring it you your car…I’m not sure why they haven’t caught on to that yet?!

• Anastasia says:

Oh and i use recipes in bulk and similar ingredients. So I make pot roast and keep some of meat out for sandwiches and soup the next day. Or making extra sausage in a Cajun dish and keeping it for pizza the next night. Less work is always good!
      And I often spend all day Saturdays cooking and freezing so we have ready made meals when we are tired and tempted to eat out.

Wonderful! I love cooking ahead as well. Makes for much less stress when mealtime hits and the kids are cranky.

Oh, wow! That does sound wonderful. Hey, I could buy organic at those prices! 🙂 Thanks for sharing, Anastasia!

12. Sherri says:

Im not sure if you know that you can freeze milk, I buy it 6 gallons at a time and sometimes more if its on sale. You just pour some off the top into a gallon you’ve already opened. When we are ready for a new gallon I pull it out the night before and let it defrost overnight. You will still have some ice chunks but I just shake it really good a couple times, and that will get rid of the ice chunks. I don’t recommend freezing skim bc it tends to get to watery, 2% works great.

That’s an interesting tip! If I could get away with freezing milk and bread, I wouldn’t have to do those in-between week shopping trips anymore! Thanks for sharing, Sherri!

• Ginger says:

You can freeze bread! I just put it in the freezer, packaged 1-2 slices (wrapped in paper towel/ in between slices)… paper towel can be re-used….in ziplock freezer bags, thaw in fridge or on counter…

13. We manage a budget of 400 to 500 a month when I was a house wife. We live in Canada so things are a bit more expensive. This budget included alcohol (bear and wine). Before, we sent over 1000$/month. The cloth diapers are a major money saver. I spent around 250$ once and this was it for the year. But opposite to you, I shopped more like twice a week, that worked better for me since I walk to the grocery store. Baking your own sweets and breads also help. But what I found made a major budget change was the cut of meat. Because I was home, I had the time to cook piece that required more preparation..

14. Chasidy says:

It would be nice if you didn’t stereotype college students as a whole. just saying. that ending just made me not like your blogs.

Oh, dear! I’m so sorry, Chasidy. I’ve been a college-student myself, so I don’t think they’re all bad. I think they’re just not in the same stage of life and don’t think to look out for the little ones the same way! No offense intended.

• Jess says:

Wow, that is extremely overly sensitive! I’m 25 and couldn’t care less if someone would lump 20-somethings into one category. 🙂

15. Laura L says:

Thanks for all the great tips. Trying to downsize our budget to save more …and no you did not stereotype college students…if she ( comment above) took offense then she wasn’t really a reader you wanted… some people just like to do “hair flips” all the over the place unfortunately… everyone is at a different stage and when you don’t have little ones unfortunately they are not at the forefront of your thinking and students tend to have studies and other things on their mind…we are young empty nesters ( had my son very young) and now that we don’t have little ones I tend to forget about them unless I see them…and they are very fast and can escape quickly. 🙂

16. Raewyn says:

Sounds like you are super organised. I have four children, three grown ups, and one aged 9. All living at home. I am a half stay at home mother, and work part time two days a week. I tend to sit down at the dinner table on one of my days off to write out a meal plan for the week. Unfortunately being a family of six, it costs us $300 per week rather than $300 a month. Living in a different country might have something to do with that…haha. Having teenagers in the house doesn’t help much either with them ALWAYS eating…lol I tend to pull out my calendar, and day planner to see whats on during the week, and I plan my meals around that. If we are going out that night, I tend to cook something simple. I also have x7 small black plastic containers in my pantry with the name of the week on each of them. I go through my pantry to see what I have, and place ingredients in bins, filling up with extra bought items after the weekly shop. This way each morning I grab the bin for that day, and its all ready to go. This helps you to use stuff in pantry you alread have too. I love your recipe folder. I will definitely try that. Thank you! And YES! like many of us struggling with the business of life, it tends to put a little pressure on whoever is cooking the meals. But making that title effort of around 20 mins a week can save you lots of money and heartache!..:-)

Thanks, Raewyn! I’m sure once you start mixing in different currencies, the amount naturally changes! Thanks for sharing!

–Kelsey

17. Eija says:

I look at the price of groceries between what people in the USA pay and what we pay in Australia and it’s a huge difference. Mince ( ground beef) averages $14 per kg, even a raw chicken costs at least $10 for a 2 kg bird. A kg of salmon fillets is $29. I shop every 2-3 weeks for 2 adults and it costs very close to $300 to feed us 2 meals a day for the period. We have 2 meat free days each week,and eat very little processed food but certainly can’t afford organic food. I have found ways to make food stretch a long way over the years.

18. Kim says:

Kelsey! Thanks so much for sharing. I stumbled upon your blog via pinterest have stayed for hours 🙂 SO many helpful, good ideas. you even have me convinced to make the switch to cloth diapering.

I have one 9 month old and I find grocery shopping to be best at 6am on a weekday! crazy I know, but any time of day/afternoon/evening gawkers want to stop and comment on the cute guy (sometimes girl LOL). it’s nice to hear but turns a 15 min trip into 35- no thanks!
    Now I’d rather get up and go before any of my men wake up. Daddy’s on duty and I’ve got it done before the coffee pot is empty. Usually the only other people to contend with are shelf stockers and cleaners (who are so nice in helping you get things!)
    Plus, then I feel like a marvelous wonder-woman for what I accomplish before breakfast and the emotional boost does great things for the rest of the day.

19. Lori says:

I am loving this series! When I was a SAHM I menu planned and it was wonderful. I am now working full time but have slacked on my menu planning. We are buying our first home very soon, so our budget will be much tighter and I will definitely have to revisit menu planning. I also try and only shop once every two weeks and would LOVE to be able to do once a month shopping.

One of the biggest money savers I have found in shopping at a bread outlet for all our bread products. I can get a loaf of 100% whole wheat named brand bread for anywhere from .50-1.00 (depending on sales) when the same loaf costs $3.00 plus at any other store. I go there once every few months, stock up on like $30.00 of cheap bread and stock the chest freezer. I am also able to get hamburger and hot dog buns for .89 a pack for named brand. Depending on the special of the day, I have gotten cinn. raisin bread, bagels, english muffins all super cheap too. worth the search if you have one locally. I have a 3 year old and a 4 year old so we go through a lot of cinnamon toast and PBJ.

I have also changed my mindset to buy ingredients instead of products. I buy the stuff to make cookies instead of buying premade cookies, etc…. I also make a lot of my own seasoning mixes and products.

20. Danielle says:

I talked to some cashiers and found at the grocery store I use puts out all of their dry good clearance items on Mondays around 10. Also earlier mornings are the best times for me! Bakery and meat depts put out the close dates items at that time and I’ve been able to to save a lot of money! No one in my family seems to mind! Love your blog!

21. Jen says:

I’m loving this blog!! 🙂 I do have one question, for really anyone with young kids. what do you do for snacks? I have 3 boys under 3, and my older boys LOVE snacks. they are always, and I do mean ALWAYS hungry and snacks tend to be quite expensive (goldfish, cheese itz etc) I try to do fruit, but like you, I shop for 2 weeks and the only fruit that lasts that long is the cutie oranges, and apples that we put in the fridge. so im just curious what you give for snacks? and how often you give them, because my boys want morning, afternoon, and evening snacks, and lots of them! lol

Great question, Jen! I should do a post on this sometime in more detail. We only have one afternoon snack around here. Common snacks include: yogurt, bananas, whatever fruit was on sale at Aldi, cheese slices, chips and homemade hummus, carrots/broccoli and ranch, chips and salsa, etc. Hope that gives you some ideas!

22. Amanda says:

I also shop every two weeks, like you. My hubby, up until about 3 months ago, did all the shopping…he is a control freak!! lol! However, he ran out of energy, and decided one day that he wanted to push the kids cart and let me do the shopping…been that way ever since. We have always shopped as a couple (except for the times when one of the kids was sick), with one of us pushing the “kids” cart (3 children under 5…they all go in a cart) and one of us pushing the grocery cart. its a lot of fun, no one gets left out, and we make a date out of it!! plus, it has the added bonus of teaching our children to make wise shopping decisions, because children always have questions and we take the time to answer them as best we can.

23. Kaylene says:

I buy bread on sale and freeze it, and I works out fine. Not soggy at all. I have tried freezing milk and I wasn’t as happy with the results. I didn’t like the ice chunks and I felt like we had to use it more quickly before it went bad. I read that it works best with 2% or whole, but we use 1% so that’s probably why.

Thanks, Kaylene. I’ve considered buying and freezing milk and bread before, but never have. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

24. Cynthia Meader says:

I enjoy reading anything to save $. I can see this is a younger crowd but thought I’d put in my two cents with an idea that occurred to me one day while shopping. Want to stop buying things you already have but can’t remember if you do? Take a photo of your fridge and pantry before leaving for the store. I’ve yet to do it (of course) but think it’s a great way to curb spending! BTW I did raise 4 kids so I know how important it is to save anywhere possible.

25. Virginia says:

This tip may have been mentioned already, but I have 2 kiddos under 7 and always have one or both with me. I pack all of my reusable bags into one, and then add my purse before I get the kids out of the car, I shop at Walmart or Shop n Save (no Aldi near me anymore) so I tend to grab a cart in the parking lot and make sure everyone is in it before we enter the store.

Good tips! I always feel funny walking into the store with my reusable bags AND kiddos. It seems like my arms are already full even before I buy anything. Thanks for reading, Virginia!

26. Jody says:

Always look for coupons and always price match sale items. Get rain checks if I have to. I save a lot doing that! Even get some items for free..ie: I got 5 shaving creams for free, a few liquid soft soap for free, with a coupon & them being on sale! It takes me awhile to coupon search, I take my coupon organizer with me every time!!

27. patrice says:

I agree with going alone. I noticed that when my husband and kids go, I’m less organized and we often spend more.

28. Nancy Tabor says:

I have been cooking for 2 for over 15 years and still find your suggestions applicable! I am on WW so adding more fresh fruit and vegetables has been a challenge. We are planning more around local sales items (Walmart and/or Aldi is 30 miles away.) and farmer’s market. We are going to be at my son’s for 3 weeks (vegans). It will be fun to see what new meal plans come home with us!

29. Krysta says:

I spend $50/week max and we are a family of 5! Totally agree on the menu planning and I use very few coupons. I have the Kroger (our main store) app and download coupons to my card. My biggest trick… Go without the big kids! My husband keeps our eldest 2 and I take the 4mo (breastfed) who I babywear. He does the full supper and bedtime while I’m shopping. I go shopping once/week, we also cloth diaper.
    We also buy frozen veg in bulk once/year from a local church that uses it as a fundraiser for their youth. Every 6mo we buy chicken tenders and breasts in bulk (split between 4 families!) from a local co that I would buy from anyway.
    Did I mention we have a small chest deep freezer? We are also in a really small house (less than 900 sqft) we had to build our pantry 😉

30. Leslie says:

I’m impressed that you feed a family of 4 on $300 a month! I struggle to stay under $800. But we do have 6 people, 2 children in diapers, and one on formula, so that adds up! I wanted to say that I actually tend to stick to my budget better when I have all 4 boys (7 and under) with me at the store, because there is no time for any extra browsing! I write my list by category so I can be most efficient, and we get that list done as fast as possible and get outta there! When I go by myself, it’s like a fun luxury, and I get carried away!

31. Chelsa says:

Our grocery store has carts with cars. Those with snacks and books usually keep my two year old occupied. I entertain him by telling him to turn and beep beep back at him. Some may think I’m crazy, but some may think I’m just being an interactive mom. I have a 7 week old and until it got real cold, is wear him in a sling. He was happy and slept away. Is always try to get just essentials with both boys.

32. nelli says:

Love your series. Keep them coming! Awesome ideas.

33. Janell says:

I have found a shopping list app on my smart phone works wonderfully, and has the added option of putting in prices. Like you, I have found just by shopping with a list we spend way less. Besides, I can easily arrange it in order of the ailes of the store, which means faster in an out times. My husband gets horrible cart rage. 🙂

34. Leslie says:

These are great tips! I love Aldi, but am also trying to begin building stockpiles when I find the best prices. I’m considering leaving my part-time job to stay at home again but need to be able to stay on a budget first. I typically shop with my 4 year old son & 7 month old daughter, after dropping my 7 year old son off at school. My baby girl is my best shopper since she usually sleeps. My 4 year old likes to help but gets bored quickly. I try to keep him occupied with putting items in the cart. For your sanity, use things to free up your hands. I usually leave my daughter in her infant carseat on the cart or my Snugli carrier. For my son, a backpack with a leash is a lifesaver! Yes I said leash. He might not like it but it can keep him from getting hit by a driver that can’t see him! I also leave my kids in their carseats for the 30 seconds that it takes me to get or return the cart.30 seconds is NOT leaving your children in the car.

35. Tiffany says:

Comp shop! I love our walmart (I know some aren’t big fans, but for those like me even saving a few cents for something I was already going to buy is awesome! ) my mother gives us her coupons so I look through for items that are already on my list.

36. berly says:

I want to thank you for your blog, it was informative! I am at my wit’s end… we are a family of 7 and spend over $1,000 in groceries, going from two family income to one family income, and i am trying to knock it down to $600 per month which I find challenging but I will try these.

• Kate says:

I’ll add one of my money saving tips…frozen vegetables! Still healthy and super convenient way to add veggies to every meal. And they’re CHEAP!

37. jennic says:

I love these ideas! I shop with kids in tow because I am trying to teach them about money and how it works. I use southern savers.com to help me with savings and coupons and sales. And our night to eat out is grocery night. We go eat then shop. Kids are a lot quieter with a full belly.

38. Brandy says:

This is my first time reading your blog. It’s so far right on Q. I HAVE 6 people in my house. We’re Military. So on a very tight budget. I’m learning to also incorporate coupons into my shopping lists. Things I have learned. Every two weeks “around pay days” the prices jump up! My teenagers are picky:( and my two younger ones are really into fresh fruit and veggies. I don’t have an Aldi’s close to me in NC. But I’ve learned over the last year. “Big lots, coupon websites, the dollar tree” are all big saving spots for me. Thanks a ton for this info. -Brandy

39. polly says:

Hi,I’m new to your blog.I look forward to getting some new ideas!I have a kosher home so groceries cost more but that motivates me to use less meat, not a bad thing.Aldi just opened in s FL but I haven’t been there yet. next week.I try to make extra every night for dinner and freeze small portions. then on the weekend Monday night everyone looks in the freezer and grabs a Rubbermaid container of a leftover they want and we all eat our own choice. my hubby gets the heebies from this( He thinksit might be unhealthy), but I overruled him.- and I’m sure if the food is frozen and used within a few days its OK.

40. polly says:

I’ve started to challenge myself to find 1 dinner each week just from Dollar tree- its fun and cheap- their website has ideas, too.thank goodness my kids eat beans .if someone doesn’t like or ‘feel like’ the dollar tree dinner they make pb&J, cereal, grilled cheese, etc.

41. Kate says:

My kids are 18, 15 and 3, I work FT as a teacher and my husband works either 2nd/3rd shift. Needless to say I have had to figure out as many tricks as possible. Pinterest and Aldi have been instrumental! Biggest tip…buy multiple gallons of milk and freeze them. Empty 1 cup from each gallon into a different container and freeze them. When you’re ready to use one, I recommend thawing it out on a plate on the counter for a few hours and don’t forget to SHAKE it up before serving.