The COMPLETE Tour of my HOME MANAGEMENT BINDER (Part 2 of 2)

ImageIf you haven’t read part 1 of The Complete Tour of my Home Management Binder, you can find it *here*.

After my Routine and Kids sections, you’ll find Menu Planning.

In the pocket, I keep a reminder of healthy Mom snacks (the idea is that I reach for those and not the Oreos), and yet chocolate still made it on there somehow.  (AND I ALREADY WARNED YOU ABOUT MY HANDWRITING)

Next, the inventory of what’s in my deep freezer.

This is kind of cool…  On my shopping list (kept on my fridge), I just write down things I need to buy as I run out of them, so in no specific order.  However, when I’m ready to go on my shopping trip, I’ll rewrite all the grocery items here in dry-erase.  I’ve memorized where most of the food items are kept in my most commonly visited stores (Wal-mart and Aldi).  Then I’ll transfer it back to my shopping list, this time in aisle-by-aisle order for convenience.  A little prep beforehand saves a lot of time later on!  If you’re interested in the rest of my menu planning and shopping routine, you can find that *here*.

Next, a list of how many grams of protein are in what foods since I wasn’t getting enough.

Recipes to try (cut from various magazines), although I also have a pinterest board for this too.

And recipes I’ve tried and liked that I need to add to my official recipe binder.

Next up, my financial section.  (I keep unbalanced receipts in the pocket)

Add Media32

I have an official month-by-month tracker of expenses (which I’m not going to show here for privacy reasons), but here is my spending at-a-glance which is dry-erasable (like everything else in my life).  I’ll jot things down here as I buy them so I have an idea of how much I’ve spent in each category, even before I’ve had a chance to balance things.  I also keep a reminder of my savings goal for this year right on top.  (Note: I’m an Amazon seller, so the amazon section is for business expenses, not for personal purchases I happen to buy through amazon… ’cause that would be silly)

My birthdays/special occasions gift list.  I’ll write ideas of what to give them as they come to me during the year, and mark when I’ve actually bought it already.  I understand it looks a bit chaotic here, but I understand what’s going on.

And my Christmas list (similar idea).  Some things have been marked-out since I know certain family members read this blog.  (That’s right, I know you looked!)

Next, my blogging section, where I keep all my brilliant ideas and conniving plans to keep you coming back for more…

But you didn’t really think I’d show you that, did you?  What would be the fun in that?

Lastly, my miscellaneous section.

I keep random things in the pocket, currently some membership information I want to look through better and a phone number to that window-repair guy (in case my toddler decides to lock himself in the house again and we have to break another window).

My online passwords and usernames (not showin’ you those either).

Our emergency booklet (from abowlfulloflemons.net), containing our emergency info and preparedness stuffs.

A beat sheet for working out the plot for my someday novel.

A list of things I want/need to buy. I’ve been pretty good about crossing things off there, haven’t I?

Room decorating and/or improvement ideas.  I currently focus on one room a month, so if it’s a larger task, I’ll collect it here until that month rolls around.

This should probably be in my menu-planning section, but it’s a list of things I’ve recently decided to start making from scratch instead of buying.  If that goes well, I’ll do a post about it!

Some empty scratch paper (mostly used by the toddler, actually).

And my puppy info (for Pride & Prejudoodles) is all kept in this folder.  I know the polka-dots don’t match the floral binder very well, but…

It’s a THREE-POCKET folder (by C Studio) and I love it.

So, there you have it…  The heart of my home-making happiness, all in one place.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments below!  I love talking about my home binder, so would be thrilled to share more with you (or learn something from  yours!).

Want to make your own Home Management Binder?  Join me for this baby-step challenge here!

30 thoughts on “The COMPLETE Tour of my HOME MANAGEMENT BINDER (Part 2 of 2)

1. melanie says:

Thank you for sharing. You have inspired me!!!!

2. Christina says:

This is great! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

3. Marielle says:

You are such an inspiration! I love reading your blog:)

4. Carolynn says:

Love your ideas! And you have the same dining chairs as I do!!

• Really? Wow! Our dining set was given to us by my husband’s grandparents. I don’t think they’re antique or anything, but I haven’t the faintest idea where they came from. Thanks for reading, Carolynn!

5. Teresa Lawrence says:

What size of binder do you use? Thanks for sharing!!!!!

6. I’m creating my own binder and there were some ideas in yours that I hadn’t thought of! 🙂

7. Vikki Hudgens says:

Thanks for sharing. I have had to start keeping a binder with all of our family stuff in it to stay organized. Your binder gave me some ideas for mine. I love to read your blog. Thanks again! 🙂

8. Great ideas here! I’m just making up my home management binder, and I’ve also included acts of kindness page (a list of ideas for when we’d like to do something kind for someone), a development page (for when my son does something new and I don’t have time to look out his baby book) and master packing lists, so if we’re going away for a night/week I don’t have to write a new list each time.
    Definitely going to incorporate some of your ideas!

9. Thanks for sharing this! I started assembling a home management binder about 6 months ago, but I’ve yet to finish it.
    I’ve seen so many examples online of these “perfect” binders (beautifully printed pages, everything is color coordinated, no handwritten notes in the margins, etc.). I feel much better about my own seeing some of your handwritten content. Thanks!

10. Hannah C says:

I just finished up your three week challenge and am so excited to start using my binder! Thank you for the detailed look at yours, that was super helpful. I did have a question about to-do lists…do you write any or do you feel that looking at your daily routine/monthly goals is enough? I have to write down every random thing otherwise I won’t remember it. So I am wondering if you have a master to-do list where you write down things for that week (buy birthday present or return item to so and so, for example) and then schedule it into one of your days that week? And/or do you have a section (like under blogging for example) where you write down specific tasks that need to be done that week? I am just curious how it fits in with the routines you have laid out… I hope that makes sense. Thanks!

Wonderful! That’s a lot of work! You should be proud of yourself!

I tend to update my daily routine about once a month or so, since life has a habit of changing all the time! I also have to WRITE DOWN EVERYTHING. If I have a specific thing for today, I’ll just write it in dry erase next to my routine and wipe it when it’s done. If it’s something like a gift to buy, I’ll write a note next to my Shopping Day to-dos.

My blogging routine is simple. I have it sorted by Topics to Write About, Pictures to Edit, Website Stuffs to Organize… I’ll order my to-do-list in order of importance and get to them when I have time. I try to set goals of what to do for specific days, but since it’s a hobby and not a full-time thing, I don’t always get to it when I plan to. I have a Blogging time each morning where I try and tackle the most pressing thing first. You have a beautiful blog, by the way! Thanks for commenting!

• Hannah C says:

Thanks for sharing! I like the idea of using dry erase, there is something so satisfying about checking off things I have done 🙂 Also, it is nice to see what others do so I can get some ideas. Would you mind if I shared your 3 week challenge over at my other blog (mothersmouthfull.blogspot.com)? I would just share a few pictures of my binder and then of course link back to your posts (anything else, I am not sure of the etiquette for that?). As you can see we have gotten out of the habit of posting on the blog but I think the binder challenge would be a great way to start back up again!

Oh, please share! I’m excited to see pictures of yours. It’s always fun seeing what other women come up with. Each binder is always a bit different and we can get ideas from each other. Thanks for reading!

11. Belita says:

Thank you so much for sharing how you organized your binder! You’ve inspired me to make one for this coming year 🙂 I’ve got most of the first half gathered and look forward to finishing it tomorrow. God bless!

12. Chris Ant says:

Love the idea of doing a room a month and actually writing down ideas and stuff in the binder until you get to that room!

13. Quiana says:

Thank you so much for your blog.. I have been dreaming of having a binder like yours but never was able to put my ideas to action. Until now!! So thankful for your blog 🙂

You’re welcome. A huge part is letting go of perfection and just making it practical for you! It’s a great tool! Thanks for reading, Quiana!

14. Liz says:

I just came across your blog…and I’m shouting…where has Kelsey being all of my life!! a truly wonderful inspiration you are. Never known anyone to organize their lives like this…what an invaluable idea…big virtual hug from London…

God has been teaching me about what I do with my time and your blog has reinforced many things.

Thank you thank you..

Dancing away 🙂

I can’t wait to share this with my best friend (3 kids under 4)