The ORGANIZED Work-At-Home Mom 3-Week Challenge ~Day 1

After posting *The Complete Tour of My Home Management Binder*, I received some requests asking how to go about putting together one of their own.

For me, my binder is everything.  It’s not just a fun, pretty notebook that I like to carry around to show-off how organized I am.  Instead, it’s more like my head and heart on paper.  It has my priorities, my dreams, my ideals, and more importantly, my plans of how to achieve those things (to the best of my ability while counting on a whole lot of God’s blessing and help, of course).

I had already planned to walk you through how I organize/plan out my year starting in January, when I normally do it.  However, the more I thought about it, the more excited I became. And so, here we are.  Day one of a three week challenge!  I’m excited!

I’m planning on writing six daily posts a week, Monday through Saturday.  At the end of three weeks, you’ll at least have a basic framework for accomplishing your long-term goals and becoming a more organized, intentional wife, mother, and homekeeper.

Even if you already have a working binder of your own, or are just not the write-it-down kind of person, feel free to eavesdrop at your own convenience.  I’m fully aware that the system that works for me probably won’t fit anyone else the exact same way, so feel free to pick through this series and use it as mere inspiration, fully adjustable to meet your own family’s needs or lifestyle.

Day #1

Our first challenge is an easy one.  We’re going to collect everything we’ll need for this series.  It’s best to have:

• A Binder (preferably a pretty one you’ll look forward to using)
  • Access to a printer and ink
  • Tabbed Page dividers (I like the kind with pockets)
  • Non-Cloudy Page Protectors and Dry Erase Markers (if you’d like to write over the page protectors and erase later like I do)
  • 20-45 minutes with your husband (or a full-blown date-night) to set some family goals

You can find Day #2’s challenge *here*!

Want to be emailed with each day’s new challenge?  Don’t forget to subscribe!

25 thoughts on “The ORGANIZED Work-At-Home Mom 3-Week Challenge ~Day 1

1. trixie briggs says:

What size binder do you suggest?

• Great hearing from you, Trixie! I use a 1.5 inch binder. You can probably get away with a smaller one if you don’t have kids, or might need a larger one if you have several with complicated school schedules. It’s not really a one-size-fit-all formula. Thanks for reading!

2. Angelika says:

I did this today…so excited to start! I went shopping..I found everything…and bought it…and grabbed my toddler and walked home…through the pouring rain. Got home 30 minutes later (this is Germany, walking is a big thing here) and realized: I forgot all my goodies at the shop. Sigh..now if only there were something to get my brain to be more organized…

• Oh, no! I’ve done that before. I hope you’re able to get your goodies back and that the weather improves for you! Haha. Fortunately, I’m sure the reason I’ve had to ‘get organized’ is because my brain seems to be incapable of doing anything well unless it’s written down somewhere. So there’s hope! Glad to have you along, Angelika!

3. Shari says:

So excited to start this!! Need to organize my life!!!

4. Heather says:

I just want you to know how much I absolutely LOVE your blog! I look forward to these e-mails daily! I am a part-time SOH Mom to a 21-month old, and hopefully more in the near future, if God allows. I pride myself in being pretty organized, and sometimes a bit OCD-ish. But this will take my organization to a whole new level. 🙂 My husband has always said, “If you die, I will be lost!” Just being able to put everything down on paper, in one spot, will make our family feel so much more at peace, I think. So much of how you describe yourself sounds just like me! I think we could be friends if we lived anywhere near each other. 😉 Keep these blogs coming. I read them religiously – I’ve just never taken the time to thank you for these posts.

• Aww thanks, Heather! You made my day! Sometimes I wonder if people actually read what I send out or if it’s just going out like spam all the time. 😉 So great hearing from you! If you’re ever in the Southern Illinois area, let me know and we’ll have you over! I love meeting up with fellow OCD-tendencied souls! Thanks for reading!

5. Angelika says:

Okaaay…loving my binder. NOT loving my pen. I have tried two different German brands for writing on foil (page protectors), and they both smear..like crazy. Even if I let it all dry for ages. Which isn’t practical. All my writing is gone. My to do lists…all a mess. What brand do you use? Maybe I can get someone to get it for me from the States (we have a lot of travellers in our church here in Munich), or maybe I will be lucky and can order it online somewhere.
    So frustrating to have a beautiful binder and have it not work because of a silly pen. Or is it the German page protectors? Sigh…life in a fallen world.. 🙂

6. Jenni P says:

I’m fairly new to your blog but it’s motivated me so much to get things organized! I purchased my binder and its contents today and can’t wait to get started. I work from home and also have 3 children under 4 1/2 yrs old so I’m hoping this will be my ticket to sanity town!!
    Love your blog! Keep up the great work, it’s truly motivating!

You’ve got this, Jenni! Having three children still in the little years definitely has the potential for insanity, but it doesn’t HAVE to be that way! Thanks for the encouragement!

7. Audrey C says:

Hi Kelsey…. this is my first time here and wow you are helping a lot of mommies with such great advice. Wish we had such useful blogs 15 years’ ago. Please continue to do your Good Work and May God Bless You and Your Family!

8. meeranifa says:

You have given me so much inspiration to keep being organized even after having kids.. You have the same 24 hours as i do, yet you get so much done…

Aww, thanks! I’m glad to be of help! I haven’t always been this organized. There’s definitely a learning curve, but it’s one worth putting the effort into learning! Thanks for reading!

9. Tracey says:

I am so excited to get started. Even though my children are older (20 & 17) I still need to keep track of where we are all going. The hubs went back to school for his masters and needs me to take over some tasks. This will definitely help and aleviate some stress for him. Thanks you are an inspiration. So excited!!!

10. Anita says:

I absolutely love your blog page!! Such wonderful info here that is so practical. I will be visiting your page frequently.

11. nashwa says:

You highly motivated me, organizing is my passion and i am really enjoying it and i started working on it , your page will be on my top list.
    Great job and marvelous ideas :)) love the binder idea thnx a lot

12. Missy says:

I’m taking the challenge! I’m in love with the idea of organizing and planning, but seriously, I stink at both. I’m hoping that this challenge will fix that. Thanks for the motivation.
    I’m a SAHM, a wife to an amazing, God-fearing man, mom to four crazy cool kids, and the caretaker for my lively 87-year-old Grandmother.

13. Fire Within says:

Sorry to join you soooo late but i love ur blog n i hope that i m going to follow u …….it is very helpful.