Day #4 – Busy Mom’s Spring Cleaning Challenge

day4

Even with a no-food-in-the-living room rule, we still end up with peanut-butter fingers spreading their ‘good cheer’ around the house somehow.

You know those throw pillows that rarely get cleaned?  Its time to take a closer look at those.  I don’t usually think of cleaning my decorative pillows, but this year I found several suspicious-looking stains (were those boogers?) that have been there for who-knows-how-long. Check the bed and couch pillows and let’s clean them!

If your pillows are washer friendly, toss them in.  If you have doubts (like I do with mine), just take a wet rag with a bit of soap and scrub where needed.  Be sure and comment below when you finish!  I will be posting before and after pictures of each task on my facebook page (some tasks will show a more obvious difference than others).  I’d be thrilled if you’d join me.

Extra Credit ideas for the Super-Motivated:

Scrub down your couch as well!

To find a complete list of upcoming challenges and see the prizes waiting for you at the end, click on this post.

day 1

31 thoughts on “Day #4 – Busy Mom’s Spring Cleaning Challenge

1. Tina says:

I think I will be conditioning our leather couches as I don’t have decorative pillows and I washed the bedding yesterday 🙂

2. tami says:

Im using a baby wipe for the first layer AND then my FlyLady Rubba Scrubba with some elbow grease to get the rest! Thanks for the challenge!

3. hardingswing says:

Done with our one pillow (really, just have one!) and the couch and recliner. 🙂

4. Kaylee Trammell says:

I was telling Lance that I was participating in this spring cleaning challenge yesterday. He was asking me why people do “spring cleaning” if they just keep the house clean consistently. As he was sitting on the couch, moving the strings around that had worked their way loose on our decorative pillows, I said, “Well, because even though we keep up with the normal things, spring cleaning includes things you wouldn’t usually do. In fact, I think this week decorative pillows would be on the list, so I could take care of those strings hanging off of that pillow.” “Oh. That makes sense.” 🙂 So, now no more strings, and most of the spots are gone (some are just going to be reminders of fond memories of having children in the house)… 🙂

5. Candice says:

Throw pillows cleaned. I’m glad we’ve downsized our pillow collection since moving last month 🙂 Only had 4 to do, so I decided to trim all the little loose threads on them as well. Feels good to do a thorough cleaning (especially of all the things I usually ignore!)

6. Beth S. says:

Solely motivated by your Plan, Jeff and I cleaned our OVEN today. I think it’s the first time I’ve cleaned the oven ever. (My long-time excuse was that I was pregnant?) I’ll be able to take March 21st OFF. Thanks.

7. Becke says:

Done! washed with oxy-clean, they smell much better too!

8. Taryn says:

Pillows done! I am washing one cushion cover a day this week because they need to air dry. We cannot be without our entire couch for a day! 😉

9. Sarah says:

Done…..I only have 3!

10. MamaFlew17 says:

I cleaned the pillows (even though I did this already a few months back). I actually should have done the wiping the couch down, but… I just was too lazy. Wish I had a better excuse. Anywho… Day 4, done!

11. Jillian says:

Done! So glad I only have 2 pillows.

12. Carrie M says:

Done. Definitely spot cleaned the couch too! Had to get all those slobber and snot marks off! I also cut off loose strings and repaired a pillow cover. Both things I’ve been wanting to do for a while. Yay!

13. Megan says:

Did it. Yay

14. Brandi says:

Done!

15. Sarah moser says:

All done, took an extra day cause one of my couches is made up of pillows, I also figured since I pritty much did the whole one I might as well do the whole other, so we have two very good smelling clean couches!

16. Belita says:

Done!

17. Machelle says:

Done, including “dry cleaning” a couple of them in the dryer. Kingdom Life & Blessings

18. Stephanie says:

I cleaned the pillows, our love-seat, and our chair. Looking at it now the love-seat really needed it.

19. Lauren Johnson says:

Done! Trimmed the loose threads too and, oh yeah…leather couches are amazing when it comes to cleaning. 😉

20. gailmasinda says:

No pillows here to clean (note to self: some throw pillows would add some needed color…) so I moved on to vacuuming and cleaning all upholstered furniture. Done!

21. Angela Norbut says:

Done

22. Tessy @ Divine Moments says:

I just put up my “winter” throw pillows and currently do not have my spring pillows out. I washed down the front of my cabinets instead which really, really needed it.

23. Galen Buntler says:

I have enrolled myself in the challenge. Cleaning the pillows from my children’s bedroom was a nightmare for me. I think some or the other day the pillows were left unattended on the ground. Now they are smelling like dogs piss and having dog stains on it. Feeling disgusted, I washed them with detergent, but the results were not satisfactory. Then, I searched for Best Tips to Clean Pet Stains, pet stain removal techniques,etc on the internet. After following some 4-5 steps my pillows are clean as brand new.